Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dying

I keep on dying again...
What my heart murmurs to the night
when I think about it:
the lacy flowing hair down your back,  
tracing the the veins of foresight,
of good-intentioned agreement,
sunny dispositions wrapped into a convenient
ham sandwich.  A disjointed poem;
and no one calls at night to tell you,
"Wait...I love you."  
I might do that right now
but something in me stops me
something in me wants to see 
you reach out and melt the clouds
down the rims of the sky
so that a clear blue canvas
is all that is left of us.  
Where would we go 
if we didn't have the tender kiss of night 
to lengthen our unhappy dreams,
and why would we die
if not to be carved like headstones
and set in the ground for all to say,
"Here lies two so devoted 
as to be buried in the same place
and look! their headstones bear their name!"
Where does the moss grow now?
Under my armpits.  But moss is soft.
I feel like weeds, weeds grow there,
and every day gets harder to say goodbye
and every day its easier to look out
upon the unshorn lawn and say,
"I will cut it tomorrow."
Tomorrow I'll be dying again
and you won't know it,
because the moss under my arms
will continue to grow.  
And your leather-chapped skin
will always be a degree colder
than the warmth of my world.

No comments: