Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I am wandering like a widow among the gravestones,
peering intently at the names, searching for one
that may, at one time or another, have been mine.  

Now, it's snowing outside my window as I sit here among
my dirty bedsheets, feeling sick and useless and alone,
wishing I could be somewhere the sun shines.  

If I had written a book about love, I would say 
very little about the intricacies of your toothbrush
habits, just like you say very little about mine.  

If we could shower together, even once, and wash
each other's stains away and start again fresh 
as a snow-covered day, I would; happily.

The band plays nothing but a melancholy tune
and I am left weeping outside your room
to watch others progress like a waitress
to your table, offer up their checks 
and depart with a little tip on how 
to do better the next time around.  

I'm on the fence between death and life
and it's now and it's here and you mean
more than anything to me, more than tomorrow
and more than right now, this moment 
and you are all I can think about because 
we talked for so little but it was a fresh
new start, like I wish I could make in all
parts of my potential life.  I wish I was 
moving tomorrow, to an old country,
older than my soul, older than God,
where God was born among the dreaming
like the serpent from the river.  

It's all I can do not to sell my computer
and run away to work on a farm in a valley
between two mountains.  Past, present,
and future all embodied there.  And me
in the middle, with my hands, my gut
and my heart.  I'm crying now.

No comments: