Sunday, September 12, 2010

New Boys and Old Boys

We ate and laughed
and drank and you were there,
in the little light room,
surrounded by your antipathy
in the form of friends.
I suggested a conversation;
it was lost in translation
of your anger to foam
to an ice cube
pressed against your lips,
a coddling of ice akin
to a hand against your hip
that I knew you missed so well.
He was older than you in a way,
because he was gone quicker than you

and you
still
love him.

In a quiet way,
perhaps,
you
still
love him.

I could tell you that a million times
and every time it would be true
but you won't grow any older
than a flower in the mud,
a perennial of metallic dissonance
that scrapes back against the boots
trying to wilt and depress it
to the wet ground.  I knew
that we could never convince you
of your importance to the world.
That would be an idea
discovered yourself,
maybe later and farther away.
All the men I know discover themselves
in their thirties, when they stop trying
to prove to everyone the importance
of love.  Deep down you want
peace and quiet
just as much everyone else.
So be content with that.

No comments: