Sunday, November 28, 2010

Dreaming

Remember how we used to be young 
and stay up all night and dream of things to come
like a once-remembered song
in the moonlight a lalalong time ago
and how we were dreaming just now
dreaming like mannequins 
dream in a store window
breathless and timed out
as if they were in the middle
of something very important 
but too important to be ignored 
by those of us walking by
and we could be drawn into that world
that raging world of sand-blasted skin
colors and dervish thought, like a dream
we almost forgot out of the windows
and into the mire of thought
and thought and thought and a thought
I thought when I dream of you
is that I hope we get one night
to spend inspiring each other once again
and I hope that 4 AM comes way too soon
and I hope you leave on that plane
missing me and those nights we used to have
that happened again
because sometimes at 2 AM all I think about 
is the world in dreams, sometimes I dream awake
sometimes I leave all this world for a fake one
and I digest my food in a delirious state
and I track my romance like fresh-baked bread
warm and cuddly and soft
and good with something to spread on it
good with a little addition, a spiced gooseberry jam
or some kind of cheese made from goats or lambs
and how I dream those things into being
on nights when I can't be anything 
anymore but a dream of someone else
dreaming of you turning over
and telling me, "Wait, there's more."

No comments: