Tuesday, April 26, 2011

In Progress

In a green grocer's near Belsize
I bought you flowers
and brought them home
to surprise you in front of no one
and to say, I actually do 

listen to you, something
I hope you find in someone else
someday.  I suppose we were
like Steve Martin and Gilda Radner
dancing all those years ago,

between themselves nothing 
but a frozen spotlight;
all words reduced to nothing
but a gamboling comickery,
a wonderful mirror-reflection

of a each other in each other.  
I watched that small clip
and thought of you, because
the night I fell in love with you
I played jazz piano, for you, 

drunkenly, and it seemed then 
those wine keys might be enough
to make you stay.  It was true,
there was very little left
for me but fall in love with you

and I did.  Like any frozen moment,
I held onto it longer than it took to thaw,
and the irony of recognition
in the middle of winter is not lost on me.
But it was beautiful, and I hope you

you would agree on that.  I hope you
would agree to dance with me again
someday, perhaps when we are old
and unembarrassed and happier.  
But none of this is really what I had intended

so I will leave it for a while and hope
that it will come back to me
more beautifully in an hour
or a day or a lifetime and maybe by then,
we will have found out what made us so

compatible...and be OK with it.  

No comments: