he said as he wrote down myriad triangles of spiral
thoughts and vested interests. When did I last
find something worth creating?
In the end, the answer was a simple one: there
was never something worth creating, just as
there was never something to begin with.
It was always just there.
In a dream once, it came to him,
like some kind of prose powerpoint presentation:
the image of man standing ankle-deep in a puddle,
clutching the remnants of a skeletal umbrella,
and whispering softly as the rain, "I am free."
It echoed throughout him, a vague vessel
for the entirety of existence to swell into,
and it sounded like thunder on the horizon
when the sky grows green.
I could light a lamp, he thought. I could paint
a masterpiece. I could troll in shallower waters,
near the banks and under the fallen trees,
and maybe then I might catch something
worth filleting, cooking and eating.
But that all seemed too easy, like every book
ever written that has the same story in it
Homer wrote three thousand years ago.
Like every book worth reading is a story
we all knew in the first place, a story we
were all born with, a story placed in our heads
by that speckle of stardust we all carry around,
that we recognize somewhere inside
when thunder rolls on the horizon
and lightning turns the sky gray-green.
How the wind blows sometimes
he thought, and it did, straight through
the meager tenement apartment,
crackling paper and lighting up dust
like a great battle on a dry plain
hungering for the blood of creativity
to pull it from the stacks and make
something of it in the end. But
something became too much too quickly
and that was it, the same meaning, over
and over and over again, that it all was
written ten thousand times before
and all will be written ten thousand times
again and if just one word might be different
somewhere
he wanted to know it. He wanted to see
the word and smell the word like a thunderstorm
on a dry summer night,
with lips cracked and bleeding
from a lack of foresight
and he wanted to taste
water
and
lightning
and
simmer
in the
brightening
newness of summer white light
on pale golden water
a moment before
the dive.
No comments:
Post a Comment