Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Beautiful Night

"...It's good for everybody
to hurt somebody once in a while.
Things I do to people I love,
shouldn't be allowed..."

-Adam Duritz
I sounded like a first grader,
sobbing into my paper cup
as my snow cone lay spilled
on the ground. It was easier
back then, not knowing
all of the crackerjack philosophy
that makes adults do the things
they do to each other.
I think back on past relationships,
and realize I have photographs
to prove we loved each other.
I'm not sure either of us needed
proof, so we never ended up
taking any.  Perhaps the need
to keep each other's souls' separate,
like wax paper between
chocolate chip cookies,
meant that photographs,
so oft accused of stealing souls,
were an unnecessary addition
to our complicated lives.
Perhaps we realized the limelight
was a treasure of our selves,
and together we discovered how
instead to be comfortable. 
We rediscovered Kevin Costner
one of those comfort nights
and fell asleep to his un-acting.
We cooked and became adept
domestics, finding an ease
and a passion that disguised
our own futile pursuits.
Disguises are dangerous
and like rotting fruit,
eventually show up on the skin,
which is why I remember first
grade and my snow cone,
rainbow-colored like a sunset,
melting slowly on the ground
as dusk settled.  I could smell
autumn in the dry wind kicking up.
The lamps were already lit
for the coming evening. 
It became a beautiful night.

No comments: