The dab of fog on the lake
looked like a chilly ghost
floating just above dawn.
I sipped the morning air,
consciously aware
I had not done this
in a long while.
The hill was impossible.
I did not even attempt
to jog it. I just walked,
warming my legs up
in the crisp autumn light.
The trailhead was as it
always was, a signboard,
a road, and blue marks
leading me up the mountain.
I knew this was a mistake
when I came up here
after the baby died, when
you were still hidden
in your eggshell of grief,
painting our stainless steel life
a drabber shade of grey.
I had little pity for that,
though I had plenty of grief
myself and tried so hard
to share it with you.
Eventually, you moved
back to your parents' home
and then started therapy there.
But that was later.
Right now, I was heading up the trail,
my lungs beginning to burn,
my mind gasping for reality,
my legs gasping in pain.
Grief, like dawn, broke through
and followed me up the trail,
pushed me as if I were a baby
taking my first steps in an uneven world.
I raced grief, all 1.5 miles
up the mountain,
and when I got to the top,
I passed out.
I dreamed our first date,
walking gently through the park,
holding hands, sharing a kiss
and two secrets,
one from me,
one from you.
I awoke to a full sun,
a burn already developing
on my face, where wrinkles
formed around my eyes
from sleepless nights
watching the empty crib
fade slowly into memory.
I still loved you, though
it was hard to articulate that.
I think we both found it difficult
to believe there was love
in a world where life
becomes a heart valve
developing wrong.
Coming back down the mountain,
I was struck with a cold wind,
and realized winter would soon
find its way here, maybe even today.
I knew this was a mistake
coming up here when the baby died,
but sometimes one must go
to the top of the world
to ask important questions.
I would head back to New York the next day,
take the long bus ride home,
and sit next to your bed.
I would tell you the story
about how I fought grief
on top of a mountain,
how grief knocked me out
and I dreamed of you.
I would ask if you remembered my secret.
Of course,
you would say from between the pillows,
But not right now. Not now.
No comments:
Post a Comment