Saturday, December 6, 2008

in the title field, there was nothing.

In the title field, there was nothing.
Just a simple short note, saying how 
you had met someone else and it was
better that we didn't see each other
again.  Maybe it was too short, or maybe
I really didn't believe you, but I hit "Reply"
anyway.  I left the subject line blank, 
because I always thought "Untitled"
made paintings more artistic, 
just like no capital letters 
make poems more meaningful.  
I wanted to write to you
that I had slaved and suffered 
over our relationship, that no burden
was too heavy to bear, 
no river too wide to cross.
That just that afternoon,
I had bought you flowers
and when I saw you again,
I would give them to you,
along with a poem I had written
about our first night of lovemaking.
Things like,
"...the passion of our sweat-tears
mingling our bodies
like twin constellations
in a Milky Way heaven,"
or, "these two eyes, so green
and beautiful, like summer
staring through me."
Just things like that.
I really wanted to write that,
to fight for you, to weep over you,
to gnash my teeth and wail
like an old Greek chorus 
in a tragic play.

But I couldn't.  I wrote,
"You do what you have to.  
I had a nice time while it lasted.
Thanks, really thank you,
for everything, and I hope
we can be friends someday."

The pure impotence of begrudging myself
to you is so tragic.  So latently romantic,
but ever so tragic.  Don't believe a word
I tell you from now on.  I am a jilted lover
walking a tightrope to the next failure.

1 comment:

Katie Marie said...

indeed. and its snowing right now... which is lovely. i will be at your place im sure. :-P

every time i read your stuff i keep trying to figure out who it is your talking about and then i wonder maybe your not talking about anyone or a bunch of someones... and it perplexes me. in a good way. :-D